Sunday, April 08, 2007

Kids say the darndest thing

Chris' boss invited us to a family dinner at a fancy restaurant at a fancy resort. (There was a chocolate fountain involved) As we made our way to the buffet the boss' 12-year-old son asked me if I'd eaten there before. I told him no. Then he told me he'd eaten there before and also at the resort's bar.

"But I couldn't drink anything because I was too young," he added a matter-of-factly.

"That's probably all for the best. Someone had to drive your family home safely," I replied.

This kid is a pretty cool kid as far as kids go. He doesn't swear or throw food or call you stupid or give off any type of offensive attitude. He does, however, talk a lot. And since I was sitting next to him he talked to me a lot. Sometmes he'd run out of things to say and he'd resort to repeating, "It's really nice eating dinner with you. I've never eaten dinner with you before."

"Well, thanks, it's nice eating dinner with you, too," I replied.

He also asked, six or seven times, if he could play with Chris' dog.

"Hmmm, maybe," I replied. "We'll have to see, hmmm?"

The kid was dogged, though. I doubt he's going to forget.

He also brought me a chocolate cheesecake from the dessert buffet by the chocolate fountain. That was nice. I kept smiling and listening politely to him and out of the blue he told me I had pointy teeth. He's noticed it before, apparently.