Thursday, July 01, 2004

A beach that is indoors

Here is where I'd like to be now:

On a beach, but maybe a man made beach that is indoors. Or maybe in a house with glass walls with the beach right outside. An empty beach just rocks and sand and ocean. And I would be curled in bed, like a cat, with a mug of tea and a book. I could look up through the glass ceiling and see the trees dropping their leaves onto the roof.

Yes, I think I need a vacation, or at least more time to read.

But speaking of reading, I went to an eye doctor the other day and she told me that staring at a computer screen and reading has caused my eyesight to worsen.

She suggested I look at a point 20 feet away from my computer screen every few minutes for 20 seconds to let my eyes focus on something else.

This I can do. Stare off into distance and find that blank space to paint with my mind. That is a kind of reading too, isn't it?