Friday, August 20, 2004

Warning: Cute kid stories

Elise and Madeline are three years old. They are the daughters of my cousins Ingrid and Melissa respectively. The two of them are the best of friends when they're not fighting over toys or over who gets to be what character when they're having a tea party.

*****


What are these two up to?

Elise is the loud mouth, sharp as a tack and a little bit bossy. She's not afraid to speak her mind. I asked her how she liked being a big sister (Lindsey is about six months old now).

"Oh I like it," she said. "Sometimes when my mom is real busy I have to hold Lindsey and bounce her up and down like this so she stops crying when my mommy is busy or on the phone."

"Wow, Elise," I replied. "You're a really good big sister. When I was two and my baby brother was born I was jealous of him and climbed into his playpen and tried to sit on him."

"Well, you were only two," she said. "Your parents should have waited until you were three to have another baby."

*****


Madeline and Elise head for the basement

At the foot of the staircase in my Auntie Nancy and Uncle Glenn's house is a huge wind chime that emits a deep, resonating gong when you hit it.

When Madeline woke up from her nap, she scurried down the stairs and banged at the wind chimes. "Elise!" she cried. "Elise! Come downstairs so you can play with me!"

From upstairs came Elise's voice, "OK Madeline. In a minute."

"Elise! I want to play with you!"

"You come up here and play with me then."

Pause.

"OK!" And up Madeline scurried.


Score! Madeline finds the toys