Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Burning the midnight oil

It's 2:35 a.m. Wednesday and I'm finally home. Elections kept me at the office until this ungodly hour.

The excitement wore off fast. Bush had a strong lead from the start and never let up. I was expecting more of a challenge from Kerry. I think everybody was. I don't know what happened.

As far as the local races, there was the funny incident of Mufi Hanneman making his "I won but am being humble" speech only to be told he hadn't won the Honolulu mayor seat yet because the elections office hadn't counted more than 4,000 late votes. We'll have to see how that one turns out.

Other than that, nothing much. In fact I'm glad I brought a book along. I'm not 50 pages into "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck and I'd highly recommend it. It's a light-hearted read, not in a shallow way, just in a sparkly way that makes you happy and perhaps will spark your desire for an adventure.