Friday, September 10, 2004

Random

"Are you going to talk about how big my head is again?"

"Oh honey, I'm not going to talk about your big head...But you know, there is a spot on your head, right here where the soft spot used to be. Yup. It's still there. Here feel."

"Mo-o-om--"

But Chris' mom takes my hand and rubs it across his head. Chris has the finest hair. It feels like touching feathers. And right where his mom puts my hand is a slightly flatter portion of head.

"You know your head is a little flat like that because when you were in the birth canal---"

"Mom!"

"The doctors went in and used the forceps to pull you out so your head was all pointy at the top. It used to worry me to death that your head was going to be pointy like that. But luckily..."

"Somebody make her stop."

"I think it's funny."

Chris peeks out from where he's buried his face in his hands to give me the look. The look that says, Do NOT encourage this.

"Mom, you know this is going to end up on the blog don't you....Karen has a nice shaped head."

"Oh yeah?"

And now both their hands are on my head.

"Oh you're right. Were you a cescerian baby?"

"No-o-o. Uh. I don't think so."

"Cause usually cescerian babies have nice, round heads like that."

"Oh. Hah."

Now Chris' mom is telling the story about how at 18 months, Chris climbed out of his crib, waddled into her room and swallowed a bunch of her pills.

"I overslept and woke up all worried. Because he was NOT the kind of baby that oversleeps. He had a schedule. So of course I ran over to see him and there he was. He'd torn open the, you know, cellophane wrapping holding the pills....And of course I rushed him right away to the hospital. But it was so funny because when we got him to the hospital it took two grown men to hold him down while they pumped his stomach."

I look at Chris. He shrugs and nods. Yup.

Later on, when we are in the car driving off, he tells me, "You really do have a nice head. You can tell your parents loved you. Some parents just leave their babies in the crib and they get a flat spot in the back of their head."

"Yeah, I know. I'm glad my parents loved me. Your mom loves you too."

He laughs. "Yeah. She certainly does. There's no doubt about that."