Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I used to have police stories all the time

I called the police for an update and got to speak with Sgt. B.M.

Sgt. B.M. was one of the first police officers I got to know. I thought he may have been bipolar because sometimes he would be so happy and animated and other times I worried that the county had erred greivously in issuing him a service revolver.

Today his mood had plateaued out at a depressing but bearable bleak.

"How are you?" I asked.

"Well, I'm still here," he snapped. "How do you think I am? But I'm only here for 422 more days. I'm starting the countdown."

"OK. 422 more days. Let me start marking it on my calender."

"OK."

He said there were no updates for me. Well nothing he would tell me. Except that someone important might be coming to town but he couldn't tell me who.

Cops love to play these mind games I noticed. Particularly this cop.

So instead of playing into his hands I said, "Well I'll check in with you again before day 422 is up."

He laughed and said OK.

Cops. Sometimes I think they hate their jobs more than anyone else.