Monday, January 03, 2005

A post in which I lose the point and ramble half way through

Today I came home and found the 'fridgerator door ajar. I experienced brief, mild irritation and swung it shut.

Today I quit my job.

Well not quit. I gave due notice that I would be quitting in about two weeks.

So that is that. I am moving closer to Chris. I am going to see if I can live, for a little while at least, away from familiar surroundings. Or, to borrow the cliche: See if I can make it on my own.

These past few days hemming and hawing over the decision, whether it's right, whether it's wrong, whether to wait, whether I was letting opportunity slip by, were the worst. I couldn't sleep. I came running outside in the morning to harass my neighbor (and co-worker) Brian with my hysterics. He calmed me.

I've been snappish with Chris. He still called me and sympathized.

It's so random how I met Chris. Did I ever tell you how I met him? At a rodeo. I was covering a story about bull poker and he was being a rodeo clown for the last time. I met him just months after he'd gotten seriously injured by a bull in another rodeo. I mean seriously injured. Like induced coma, months in a hospital, shattered bones serious.

And on that first day I met Chris: I learned he was older than me. I learned he was smarter than me and used words I couldn't pronounce so I'd just nod and say "Uh huh" in my smartest sounding voice while in my head I thought, You said you had a head injury. The first day I met Chris, he let me wear his cowboy hat at the rodeo and followed me around and bought me a bottle of water. He gave me a magazine from New Mexico with an article about his injury.

I returned for the second day of the rodeo and saw Chris again. Were we happy to see each other? I don't remember. I guess so. Later on, I called him to see if I could take him up on an offer to watch him being trampled by the bull. After we watched the video, he asked me out.

That was our first date I guess. Chris kisses girls on the first date!

OK. Enough of this sickingly gooey rhapsody.

Ahem. The point is. The worst is over now. I turned in my notice. It's all forward from here.