Monday, March 13, 2006

Well put

The video montage has just ended, and the renewal of vows ceremony for Auntie Alice and Uncle Gary -- married 45 years to the day -- is about to begin. The music fades to silence. You could hear the person three seats down sniffling. Grampa chooses this moment to lean across me to address Auntie Ginny.

" 'Ey," he says, his voice booming in the sudden quiet. "Ginny, when we going eat?"

Seriously, though, I ended up enjoying the ceremony despite the fact that it took place at a New Hope Church and I found the whole thing to be ... sappy? OK, stupid. Pretentious. There was local food at the reception. A'ama crab, opihi, lomi salmon, sashimi, nishimei, squid lau lau. The list goes on and on and I tried to sample everything because I know I won't be here forever and I'll miss these tastes when I'm gone.