Saturday, July 08, 2006

Time to wake up

Almost a week and I'm stll living in a neat, roomy apartment. It's nice. Can I just say, though? This has seriously impeded upon my crafting urge. All my crafting supplies are stacked in neat, clear, plastic bins and I'm very hesitant to open up any of those Pandora's boxes for fear that the spirits within will once again roost on my floor, bed, tables and chairs. I'm no witch. I have no power to send them back.

In other words: I don't have faith in my ability to put things back where they belong.

So instead, I've taken up with another old pal of mine: Reading. One book at a time, from beginning to end. I'm already on page 243 of "Wild Swans" by Jung Chang. The mental stress of living in Communist China is mind boggling. I think I would have died of the pressure, or at least gone blind (if I lived long enough not to be killed off by the famine).

I think Chris is doing a secret happy jig now that I've returned to reading and talk to him about the books I'm reading. I was a voracious reader when I first met him, and since then he's watched me turn into a knitter/crafter who really had no desire to write. On a couple of occasions he's even asked if it was he who sucked away my desire to read, write and be ambitious. (Of course not, silly, that was New Mexico's fault).