Friday, September 10, 2004

Me meet Jimmy

I met "Jimmy", Chris' charge for the fist time today. Well, formal introductions weren't actually exchanged, unless you consider me waving at Jimmy from my perch in my car 10 feet away, formal.

Chris pointed me out to him and I smiled and waved and Jimmy's heretofore goofy expression took upon a look of curiously suspicious (to me anyway) concentration. Fortunately (recalling Chris' tales) there was nothing nearby to throw.

Jimmy didn't even notice me at first because he was so ga-ga happy when he saw Chris. Jimmy was still strapped into the car seat, but when he saw Chris his mouth dropped open in a wet grin and he started bouncing around.

I'll be damned, I thought. Chris wasn't kidding. The kid seemed to honestly like him.

Then Jimmy saw me and stared and stared, not in an unfriendly way, just in that openly curious way of someone with no social skills who doesn't mean harm.

Then Chris pointed me out to him and Jimmy's expression changed to something more suspiciously concentrated and decidedly unfriendly.

Jimmy reminds me of Jake, in a way. Jake likes to get everyone's full attention and when me and Chris walk side by side, Jake will muzzle his way between us.