Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I'm entering the 21st century...now can you, Farmington?

One of the photogs recently expressed gratitude for Durango, saying when you live in Farmington it's nice to escape to someplace with a pulse. Not only is there nothing to do in this town after 8 p.m. (and believe me, I'm not the partying type anyway), you can't even escape on the high-speed Internet at your own home.

When I first moved here, I inquired about a high-speed hook-up because I figured I'd use the Internet more than the TV or the telephone. But Comcast doesn't offer high speed cable connection in Farmington. DSL is ridiculously expensive and you have to pay Qwest to do extra modifications to your phone line if it isn't already specially modified. There's a wireless option, but the price tag on that makes DSL seem cheap.

So in the end I settled for plain old dial up. All of the posts you've seen since I got here? Dial-up.

And I've existed fine on dial-up for the past few months.

But you see, yesterday I bought an I-pod. A 30-gig i-pod of the type Apple will soon be discontinuing in favor of flashier, bigger-gig in smaller cases i-pods. My modest i-pod suits my purpose though: to download me some decent podcasts for free so I won't be stuck listening to christian, country and christian/country. Ahhhh.

But downloading takes for-fucking-ever and a day on dial-up.

This is all part of the Farmington conspiracy to keep the people down.