Sunday, November 06, 2005

Ahi overload

Within hours of landing in Honolulu, I went into ahi overload. The first restaurant we went to, Irifune, was crowded on a Wednesday night. We waited an hour for a table that was handicap accessible (for my friend Dara) then I ordered the garlic ahi with a side of shrimp and vegetable tempura.

Then, the following day, I stayed with Dara at the Ihilani Resort (tourist-ville, but oh-so-relaxing) and for dinner we ordered the poki/sashimi platter and seared ahi for appetizer. For the main course, I ordered the seared ahi salad with sesame dressing. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Dara ordered a plantation iced tea and I ordered a virgin pina colada.

Once we got away from the resort (read: Pearlridge, Pearl Kai, Kaneohe, Ala Moana, The Bus, etc.) I got to sit and just silently marvel at how diverse this place is. I'd almost forgotten. And it's weird to come back after nine months of being away and realize Wow, this place really is diverse, everybody gets along without caring about ethnicity, for the most part. Of course, I know this isn't really true, or at the very least it's an over-simplified statement. There's a lot of disagreement under the surface and when people get upset, they usually invoke racial slurs.