Saturday, July 17, 2004

Home is where my dad chases the dog around with a vaccuum cleaner

Yes I have returned to Hilo. (And yes, Dad has a new method of torturing Li Po).

My grandparents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and the whole family is set to gather at a fancy hotel buffet. The fact that anyone in my family has successfully survived 50 years with another person in my family is a miracle.

Not much has changed here:

Mom and Dad still pay more attention to the TV or the computer than each other.

There is take-out in the refrigerator because no one cooks.

My brother is nowhere to be found.

Li Po still chases his ball, but it's harder now because he is blinder.

Speaking of Li Po, I think he's given up on me. I haven't been home in so long (well, three weeks but that's really long) that I doubt he considers me part of the family. He gave me exactly 15 seconds of attention when I walked through the door -- long enough to follow me up the hall to my room -- then he ditched me for Mom.