Sunday, November 21, 2004

Crafty Christmas start

The craft fair was OK. I remember it being bigger last year, but that's probably because I went at night. This year I went in the morning.

I felt sorry for some of the vendors 'cause I imagined all the time and care they put into their crafts and some of the customers were vultures. One overweight lady leaning on a cane asked a vendor if she would sell that handstitched baby blanket for $10 instead of $15 and when the vendor shook her head apologetically, the woman narrowed her eyes, muttered, "OK, not yet then," and shuffled off.

And then at the stall of this other woman selling handmade soap, one of the customers lingered forever, pressing all the display soaps right up to her nose and asking a bunch of nosy questions and then only buying two bars from the "dicolored and disfigured" dollar bin. Oh wait, that annoying customer was me.

If the soap works good, I can always order some more here.

The necklace was where I splurged. I passed that booth twice, both times lingering, before I finally decided to buy. Each time the booth was crowded with elbowy women with seemingly umlimited budgets. The beaded jewelry was handmade by a woman named Kori, and most of her stuff looked all juicy and colorful and yummy. That's right, Chris, yummy. So I gave her my $35 and took a necklace that reminds me of a spring garden in somewhere where there are actually seasons.

Oh, I bought some stuff for other people as well, but they can't know what it is until Christmas.

I also bought some fabric from the Fabric Mart in the mall and spent last night sewing away.