Thursday, January 13, 2005

8th Habit

My relationship with my family can be like a torrid love affair. Or maybe I'm just a dramaqueen. This may be the result of a sheltered life. My parents have questionable communication skills and are emotionally unstable at times, but they always provided. And there is no doubt they love me.

I'm glad my dad apologized. I'm glad I've found it in me to forgive. It was the right thing on both our parts, since we have each hurt each other before.

We had a nice long talk after the explosion of his temper and he said he was proud of me and suggested I read"The 8th Habit" by Stephen R. Covey. In fact, when I came back home for the weekend, I found a hard cover copy of the book sitting on my bed. It made me feel a bit warm and fuzzy that he did that. Then I saw the "self-help/management/economics" label on the book's jacket.

Self-help is just NOT my genre. My parents once bought me "Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul" and I got three paragraphs in before sticking a finger in my mouth and tossing it into the back of my closet.

See, I think you can learn just as much about life and success from good old literature. And you get a good story to boot. And, AND it's not so IN YOUR FACE OBVIOUS. That's the sweet bonus.

But I will grit my teeth and try this book.