Thursday, January 27, 2005

Da kine

Here in Hawaii, we have a phrase that explains everything. It is the ultimate catch-all. If you're eating dinner and want someone to pass you the potatoes, but you can't remember the word for "potato" you can tell Auntie to pass "da da kine" and she'll look puzzled and hold up the salad, fish, and corn while you scrunch your face and shake your head. Eventually she'll reach the potatoes, and you'll smile, and everyone will know you wanted the da kine.

Da kine relies a lot on context too. If you're talking about shopping for clothes and you tell someone you bought the "da kine" they'll probably understand you meant the blouse or pants or whatever.

I went to meet co-worker (FORMER co-worker) Carolyn in town a couple days ago and my dad and his friend had to drive me since my car is currently en-route on the da kine, and my dad's friend teased me,

"You going come back with a haole accent. When you call your dad you going be talking all haole."

"Not necessarily," I said. "There's a lot of Spanish influence in New Mexico, a lot of people there have a Spanish inflection to their voice."

Thus proving that I ALREADY talk like one da kine.