Thursday, July 28, 2005

February in Farmington

I found this little gem, labeled, "farmington is weird," rotting away forgotten on my computer desktop. It's incomplete.

Now I get to be the tourist

About month ago, I walked into the Wal-green’s on East Main Street and walked out with a $10 rice cooker.
Outside, a cold, biting wind was brewing. I’d wake up the following morning to find my car covered in frost and I’d be sitting in it with the engine running and the defroster on high, wondering yet again, why I hadn’t walked out of the Wal-green’s with an ice scraper instead.
But that’s beside the point.
I came here from Hawaii, where snow is limited to the summit of Mauna Kea (white mountain) and people drive for hours to get there, load their pick-up trucks with snow, then drive several more hours to have a snow fight at the beach. Then they go surfing.
You can safely live your entire life without first-hand knowledge of ice scrapers, black ice, thin ice, or any other kind of ice you’d find outside a freezer. Except maybe shaved ice, a favorite dessert in which finely shaved ice is served in a paper cone and drenched in flavored syrup. As ice goes, shaved ice is not so bad, especially when eaten on a hot winter day at the beach.
Thoughts of Hawaii, where there is a rice cooker in every home, drove my buying decision that evening.