Friday, July 22, 2005

oh happy day

I don't know what I was thinking. Driving 61 miles out of Farmington on a near-empty tank of gas. Lindsey, the photographer, clearly thought I had lost my mind, or was at least guilty of irresponsibility in the planning department.

It didn't help that neither of us were familiar with the area. No gas station in sight foreva then down one wrong turn, and there it is: local gas station. Prepay only. So I go inside and let the lady behind the counter charge $20 on my credit card. Only to find out that the place has run out of gas cause the pump won't pump despite the lady's suggestion of "wait a little while and try again."

Then, I found out she didn't know how to void the credit card transaction. I waited impatiently, knowing we were going to be late, possibly that the people we were supposed to meet weren't even going to be there. The lady called four or five different people who might know how to void a credit card transaction. Three didn't pick up and the fourth told her to just give me the $20 in cash.

So we were on our way at last, already late. We ended up where we were supposed to be half an hour late, but able to accomplish what we'd set out to do. We even found a Mustang station to fill up at before the long ride back to town.

Ah, happy ending.