Thursday, July 21, 2005

Local music and green tea ice cream goodness

There's this grocery store in Albuquerque that's actually a co-op of sorts for local growers. Chris tries to shop there whenever he can cause the quality's so much better. In the freezer section, I spotted a little tub of soy-based green tea ice cream. It was expensive, but memories of creamy green-tea goodness in Hawaii prodded me into buying it. To say it was a disappointment would be an understatement. The stuff tasted like frozen lettuce mashed into paste.

Tonight, at the local coffee shop in Farmington, Andrea Kristina's, I discovered frozen green tea ice-cream drink. And it was yum-my. I heard Starbucks is selling a frozen green tea drink, but I'm glad I won't have to go to Starbucks to get it.

Andrea Kristina's. One of the good things about Farmington.

Tonight was also open mic night there, and I went to cover a story. I actually had fun, socially inept hermit that I usually am. Some of the musicians were really honest-to-God talented, the atmosphere was intimate and easygoing, and the crowd was fun and personable. One kid did a rocking guitar solo followed by a piece entitled, "Polar bears and walruses dancing in my dreams," on a tiny toy "pianosaurus." It was totally anything go.

You could sing a John Lennon song without feeling like you had to sound like John Lennon. You could make up the lyrics as you went along. You could be shitty or pretty good and everyone clapped just the same. It was three hours not spent in front of a television or computer.