Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Must be the...

I was at loss as to what to post so I looked over at Chris, sprawled across my couch with a Arizona iced-tea tucked against his side. I was about to ask him for a topic, but before I could say a word he shrugged and said,

"I like Nelly."

I looked the other way at the TV, to find scantily clad women shaking it in Nelly's latest video.

I looked back at Chris, who until this moment has always expressed contempt for rap. As far as I could gather he likes Tom Petty and John Mellencamp and stuff like that.

"I don't know," he continued. "I just like his voice. Didn't he do that song--"

"It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes?" I said.

"No. No. That song....it goes....'must be the money'?"

"Oh yeah, yeah. I think he did."

"That song. I remember it came on the radio and I thought, 'Wow I like that rap song.'"

Uh-huh.

"He's got flow, you know?"

"All his songs sound the same."

"I know. He definitely has a formula."

And at least he's not wearing that band-aid on his face anymore.

Actually, I think Chris is trying to be nice by watching MTV because I jokingly accused him of only watching CNN. Now that the Nelly video is over he has flipped it over to the Style Network.

Now the Food Network.

The Food Network had the best dating show I've ever seen: Date Plate. It goes like this: two guys are selected to cook a meal (main course and dessert) for a girl. She tastes each guy's cooking and goes on a date with whichever guy's cooking she prefers. The guys each get a professional chef to help them prepare their menus.