Thursday, December 02, 2004

A different world

As if you didn't already notice, I go through phases. The picture phase, where I'm always scouting around with a camera. The TV phase where I get addicted to shows like LOST, which I really shouldn't be watching all by myself. And now this crafty phase.

It's interesting to sort of get immersed in whatever it is. I remember when every single day I'd spend hours watching MTV, VH-1 and Nick at Nite. I knew all about the Real World cast and who was having the best or worst week ever, etc. I probably could've aced any pop culture quiz going at the time.

It's the same with this crafty thing. I've discovered a whole new world. There are TONS of people, it turns out, who are making trendy home-made stuff. Only they don't call it homemade. Homemade sounds cheap and boring. No, they call their stuff "one of a kind". There are monster dolls and doughnut dolls and dolls shaped like pieces of bread and tampons. There are people selling X-rated cross stitch patterns and others selling hand-made Lego earrings. There are people who spin their own yarn and people who turn yarn into felt.

I never realized all of this existed, and was so big. It really is like belonging to a sub-culture.