Thursday, February 10, 2005

New state, same blog

Here I am in New Mexico. Farmington, New Mexico. Been here about two weeks now. Whirlwind of emotions and activity best expressed in a list:

1) Two days into my arrival it started snowing in Albuquerque

2) Two days into my arrival I caught a nasty cold

3) My car is in Albuquerque but I haven't gotten it yet because some trucker named Kenny hauled my car from California and then his truck broke down and is in the garage with my car and four others still on it. Yup. I didn't believe that bullshit either until Chris finally wrangled the name of the garage out of him and confirmed that the truck is indeed there, out of commission with a bunch of cars stacked on it and the cars can't be taken down until the truck's engine is fixed. Un-fucking-believable.

4) New Mexico has really, really open laws. As in I can view actual police records. Like the whole record, not just the blotter and arrest log.

5) There are no one-bedroom or studio apartments in Farmington. What the fuck? The town is apparently booming because there's lots of oil fields and money to be made so people have swallowed up the apartments. So, as a compromise I will be staying in some kind woman's basement until I find a permanent place.

6) I like my new editor. Maybe this ridiculous paycut I agreed to when I took this job will pan out in the long run. We shall see.

7) I still suck at taking pictures. On assignment tonight I couldn't bring myself to take a single shot. It's hard interviewing people, getting them to open up and then pulling out a camera. It's weird and ruins the moment sometimes. I think it's more my problem than the subject's though. I MUST improve at this, damnit. It is officially on my list of things to accomplish.