Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Excuse me while I rant

They found the runaway bride in Albuquerque and I can't believe how much coverage this woman is getting. I can understand that people are upset and feel misled, and yes, she did lie to the police but really the whole thing was blown out of proportion. Everyone and their mama is clamoring for this woman to be punished. I think she's already been punished. Honestly, the woman seemed like she was a little fucked up in the head in the first place and couldn't deal with the pressure. (FOURTEEN bridesmaids? eight wedding showers? 800 guests?) Seems like she felt like she was already being punished, thus the extreme reaction. I'm sure she feels stupid, now just get her out of my face and off my television.

Sometimes I wonder what the fuck is wrong with this country. And then I feel guilty because I'm working in an industry that seems to be promoting everything that is wrong with it. This is what happens when you have 24-hour news coverage.

Disclaimer: Since I can't seem to express any opinion without hedging, here I go. I don't have anything against big fancy weddings and I do sympathize with those who were duped by the runaway bride.