Monday, April 11, 2005

In defense of New Mexico

I called my mom up at work in Hawaii and some co-worker guy of hers answered and as soon as I heard the "hello" leave his lips, I knew it was somebody local and I felt this surge of well-being. Then I talked story a little while with Mom and as I did so I looked out my window and the sky was blue in Farmington and I almost tricked myself into believing I was still in Hawaii, that I could just get in the car and drive over to my mom.

Then I called Chris up and told him about that feeling.

"Just imagine," I told him. "Imagine, we could be at the beach in Hawaii. Can you imagine that?"

At which point he snorted, rudely dispelling my fantasy and said, "We never went to the beach. You didn't like the beach."

"It's a fantasy! You're ruining my fantasy."

"Yeah, well if you're going to come up with something at least let it be realistic. Like, say, 'Imagine we were going for a walk with Jake--'"

"That's it! I'm erasing you out of my fantasy. It's just me at the imaginary beach now. By myself."

"Awww, c'mon. OK. We're both at the beach. You're sitting there....knitting or reading, while I'm out there surfing."

But truly, the guy has a point. I didn't like the beach much and rarely went. When I was in Hawaii, I constantly complained about it. How I'd wasted my whole life there, how I might never leave, how boring it was, how much I hated my job, etc., etc., etc.

So those who come across my ramblings, take it with a grain of salt. I possess one of humanity's most un-unique and unflattering characteristics, that is, the ability to be perfectly miserable no matter where I am.

I am trying to fight it though.