Friday, April 22, 2005

That ever convenient age

Marcy the intern has the best jewelry. Colorful, plastic rings and a matching plastic watch that all look too big on her tiny-boned frame. She comes into the office, dumps her big, black purse on the desk and says,

"Karen, I'm going to get a tattoo."

"You are? Of what?"

"A Catholic heart."

"What's that?"

"Like a heart about this big with a ribbon going through and some rays like light coming up from the bottom."

"Oh. Where are you going to get it?"

"On my butt."

"Your butt?"

"No! I said foot! My foot."

"Oh. Oh. Well that's unique."

"Yeah, that's why I'm going to do it there. Because not that many people have it on their foot."

"Marcy, what will your parents say?"

"They'll be mad..... But Karen, I'm 19! I can do whatever I want and don't have to listen to them if I don't want to!"