Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Phew. 3rd post. Maybe the tide is turning after all

I am a broke ass here. My job doesn't pay as much as my job in Hawaii did, and I don't have as sweet of a deal on an apartment and gas here isn't as cheap as I thought it'd be either. ($2.33 a gallon if you must know)

But I do have a TV. A TV Chris found in the "unwanted but useful" bin at his father's condominium in Albuquerque. He brought the TV to me, and I dutifully (OK, gleefully) plugged the sucker in. I haven't invested in cable though, so the only station I can catch is a fairly staticky NBC.

This, said Chris, is reason enough for me to be depressed. Chris tried to sit through the NBC line-up one evening so that we'd have something to chat about when he came to visit. But alas, he could not do it. I can't blame him. There is only so much Law and Order a person can take before his head explodes. Especially when he knows The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is only a few clicks of the remote control away.

In fact, every time Chris has asked me what I am watching on NBC I have answered, "Law and Order."

And it is blatantly apparant that he does not watch that station because he does not ask, "Which one? Criminal Intent? Special Victims Unit? Trial by Jury?"

Ah yes, I am familiar with all three.

There was a time people, I swear, where I was a bookworm. Now I knit and zone out to the background blather of NBC. It placates me to the point that I almost don't here the desperate voice in the back of my mind screaming, This is just a phase right? Oh, God, tell me this is just a phase!

Got to go. "Third Watch" is on.